Monday, February 19, 2024

My Father's World Kindergarten: H is for Horse


Zeke is using My Fathers World God’s Creation from A to Z. He is five years old. We finished the farm theme this week with H is for Horse! 

Monday: 

(We did Monday and Tuesday’s worksheets today since I was going to be gone on Tuesday.) 

We started out with some Valentine fun! I have some worksheets and activities that are Valentine themed to add to his school this week. Today I handed him a box of conversation hearts which he sorted by color. Then we counted each color and graphed them on the worksheet using dot markers. We didn't have a white dot marker, so he used gray instead!




Then we practiced stacking the conversation hearts as high as we could before they fell over. He got eight and I got ten! He ate them while he did the rest of his school. 



We did a CVC valentine-themed worksheet next. I said the words and he wrote the letters for each sound. He did so much better on this worksheet than I thought he would! 


We read about horses in the God's Amazing World book. Then Zeke colored and cut apart his sound cards and put them in an envelope. Next Zeke did his handwriting worksheet and sound discrimination worksheet.



I printed out this worksheet from The Mailbox. He colored the pictures and cut them out, gluing them on the correct farm animal (p for pig, c for cow, and h for horse). 


I had him go ahead and read his word list from this week (even though it wasn't scheduled until Thursday). He is getting better and better every week, and I feel like he will benefit from the practice.

In his journal, I had a valentine-themed tens and ones counting activity for his math activity today.



WEDNESDAY:

We started out with a few fun Valentine-themed worksheets. First was a color-by-number dinosaur themed page. He loves these! Since he isn't reading yet, I color code the numbers with crayons first.


Next he traced the numbers 1-20 using pink, purple, and red. We played this fun "game" (he likes to make worksheets into games). The instructions called for a paper clip and pencil to make a spinner, but I decided to use a dice instead. I wrote the numbers 1-6 in colored markers, and we took turns rolling the dice, finding the number, and using a dot marker to dot any balloon on the page with that color. The color with the most balloons wins! We had a 3--way tie with yellow, green, and blue.



Then we completed his math worksheet from My Father's World. He had to listen to the story and glue the horses in the correct boxes. Super easy for him.


We then read through his word list again, and he did even better today. 


He had a cut and glue worksheet where he read the words and glued them to the correct picture.


The last thing he did was make a shape horse. The directions were in the teacher's guide with exact measurements to cut. I eyeballed it! He figured out where each shape went to form a horse, then he added eyes and other embellishments to his picture. It turned out super cute!


THURSDAY:

We had a pretty quick morning of schoolwork since I was babysitting my grandson, Daniel. We started out reading the word list again, and while he still needed some help, I'm glad I did this each day this week. There are 15 words on this week's list! Next we did the blend ladder worksheet. I just took a marker and wrote the letters in the boxes today because I didn't think pulling out all of the magnetic letters would be a good idea with a three year old and a 16 month old around. 


Zeke colored a page full of animals, and then he cut them out and we sorted them by "farm animal" or "zoo animal." We talked about the animals in our zoo - we don't have a dolphin, and he doesn't remember seeing the camel. We are actually planning a trip to the zoo next week. Our nearest zoo is over an hour away.



That's all we managed to do today, and Zeke had speech therapy in the afternoon. My mother-in-law took him since I was watching Daniel. It's also an hour trip there, and an hour trip back. When you live very rurally, everything is about an hour away!

FRIDAY:

We didn't' get school done until after lunch today because my parents just got in from Nicaragua, so we went over to visit them this morning! After lunch and Zoey's nap, we went outside to the porch where it was lightly raining and a bit chilly to finish school.


Zeke drew four things that start with H - hot, horse, heart, and house. I love his drawings each week!


Then he read four sentences and glued them to the correct picture. 


I had one more worksheet from The Mailbox where Zeke had to glue the pictures to the hay that begin with H. 


And that wrapped up our week! We’re really enjoying My Fathers World, and I am so proud of how quickly he is getting the hang of reading. 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful week of learning and I immediately thought that H is for horses could not be a better fit with your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We have eight horses right now, and nearly 100 cows, so these past few weeks have been very familiar for Zeke!

      Delete
  2. Those activities look fun. I´ll bet Zeke enjoyed the stacking candy heart activity :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did enjoy it, but he enjoyed eating them more!

      Delete