Thursday, February 29, 2024

Monthly Musings: How to Survive the Winter Months

 I'm linking up with Patty and Holly again this month for February's Monthly Musings. I'll have to be honest though, we don't have a rough winter here in Louisiana compared to some people! I feel like my answers are really short and basic this month, but here they are anyway.



1. WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE WINTER THAT BRINGS YOU JOY?

I love curling up under a blanket with a good book or a good TV series on! I also love that I get to wear sweaters and jackets - most of the year it's too hot for those. I've been reading the Annie's Attic mystery book series and enjoying it. 



2. HOW DO YOU STAY WARM AND COZY?

I wear socks in the house when I normally go barefoot. I like to make soups and chili and bake warm cookies and brownies. Wearing sweaters and cardigans is also cozy!

Zeke looks adorable in his Carhartt beanie.


3. WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS WINTER?

Our winter is almost over. In fact, we've had plenty of days in the upper 70s where I live! I am looking forward to winter officially ending and spring beginning - especially when we "spring forward" and get another hour of daylight!

Typical day in February - no jacket!


4. FAVORITE WINTERTIME ACTIVITIES?

We don't get much snow, so we don't have the opportunity for sledding, skating, or skiing. My wintertime activities include watching the birds and squirrels in the yard and cleaning up flowerbeds for spring planting! Not your traditional winter activities, but when you live in Deep South then that's what it consists of. 

I also feel like I do more decluttering in the winter, probably because I'm cooped up more than in the warmer, drier months. I also tend to do more redecorating and rearranging!

- We rearranged the boys' room to give them more floor space -


5. FAVORITE MONTHS OF WINTER?

I love December for Christmas. It's such a festive and jolly month, with decorations and lights and music wherever you go! It's also a busy month, preparing for Christmas activities like the church play, wrapping presents, and planning menus. January is usually cold and muddy, and February is a mix of icy weather and sunny days for us. 

- Hanging of the Greens at church -


6. FAVORITE DISHES TO MAKE IN WINTER?

I haven't made this one yet, but last week at church we ate Stuffed Bell Pepper soup, and it was delicious. I do plan to make it for Rod soon since he missed out on it. 

I also love to make chili, and my recipe is so simple and delicious:

Brown your meat. Add in two packages of McCormick mild chili seasoning, a can of mild chili beans, a can of diced tomatoes, and a huge jar of Ragu spaghetti sauce in your favorite flavor! Simmer and serve with Fritos and cheese or crackers. 

7. GAS OR WOOD-BURNING FIREPLACE?

We have a wood-burning fireplace! It's so cozy in the winter, but it's also so messy to have a fire going! I'm constantly sweeping up debris from the firewood and cleaning the ashes. It's worth it, though, to have the extra heat source.

- The stockings were hung... - 

- Zeke loves to sit by the fire -

8. FAVORITE WINTER HOT BEVERAGE?

The only hot beverage I enjoy is hot chocolate, with big marshmallows!

9. FAVORITE WINTER MOVIES?

I love the Santa Clause trilogy as well as the Home Alone movies. I am also willing to watch any Lifetime or Hallmark Christmas movie in the winter! I watched a cute movie on Pureflix called The Spruces and The Pines.

10. HOW DO YOU STAY HEALTHY IN THE WINTER?

I take Vitamin C in the winter and try to drink more water to stay healthy. I think we eat more comfort-foods in the winter, especially baked goodies, which isn't too healthy. Getting outside even in the colder weather seems to help as well. I do wind up with bronchitis a few times each winter though.

What about you? Which question did you enjoy reading my answer to the most? 

Here is the monthly topic list for the rest of the year if you want to join in!





10 comments:

  1. I feel like I do more organizing and cleaning in winter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being inside more makes all the clutter more visible I think!

      Delete
  2. I definitely do more organizing in the winter! Good point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like Zeke- I LOVE sitting in front of the fireplace!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zeke is so cute. That bell pepper soup sounds wonderful! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Vitamin C is such a smart idea- we love a cozy fire too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think gives my immune system a boost!

      Delete