Sunday, February 11, 2024

My Father's World Kindergarten: C is for Cow



Zeke is 5 years old, and we're using My Father's World Kindergarten alongside Abeka Math and Rod and Staff workbooks. Every day we add to his 100 chart and calendar, and we do math and supplemental worksheets in Rod and Staff daily as well. I don't always write that down because it gets redundant!

We're continuing the farm theme from last week's G is for Goat with this week's C is for Cow. Farm themes are fun but they're also our reality. We have a farm with cows, horses, and chickens and my sister-in-law has goats, so these animals are a part of Zeke's everyday life.

MONDAY:

We started the week off with his sound cards, which he colors, cuts apart, and puts in a labeled envelope. 


We read the book "The Milk Makers," which is about how milk gets from dairy cows to our refrigerators! I found a free worksheet on Teachers Pay Teachers where Zeke could label the dairy cow. He had to look at the words to copy them in the correct squares.


We also worked on recognizing the number words one through six since this is a part of what he's learning in Abeka math. (I don't use the teacher's guide.) I just cut index cards in half and wrote the number word on one and the digit on the other. He matches them up or we play Concentration with them.



TUESDAY:

Zeke did his handwriting and sound discrimination worksheets.



I also found a free worksheet that had him tracing the farm animal names. He could always use a little practice with writing, and he enjoyed it. 





WEDNESDAY: 

Zeke did his math page (counting cows) and read a few words and glued them to the right pictures. 


We read the book, "The Little Red Hen," which I know is about a hen and not cows, but it went well with our theme for the day. We were talking about milk products, but I expanded that to farm products. After we read the book, he completed a cut-and-glue worksheet that matched farm animals with the products we get from them. He needed a little help with the lamb chops (we don't eat lamb), but this was a good visual reminder of why we raise cattle on our farm.


The poem this week is "The Purple Cow," so I had Zeke color a purple cow. Then I copied that page in the Teacher's Manual, cut out the poem, and he glued it to the purple cow.


We also baked cupcakes for Team Kid at church tonight, just like Little Hen baked a cake. Zeke did all the sprinkles! 


He then put together a few 48 piece puzzles.


THURSDAY:

We started today with his blend ladder worksheet. He started sounding out words and blending so much better. Then he read his word list with much less help than usual. This is exciting! He told me, "I'll be reading soon, Mama!"




Next, he traced and copied the words from this worksheet and colored his cow. He drew birds in the sky - how cute.


We read several books about farm life and cows today from the library. 

He completed a page in is Abeka math book and almost the last page in his Rod and Staff workbook.


FRIDAY:

Today Zeke drew four pictures that began with c. He drew cut, cat, cow, and cracker! I also made him read his word list again, and I think every day I'm going to start having him read one of his word lists. I'm going to make copies and keep them in a folder. This will be good review for him!


I found a worksheet on The Mailbox that I printed out for Zeke that goes along with the dairy theme. He had to color the pictures, cut them out, and glue only the ones that were made from milk on the milk pails. He did a great job of figuring this out!

He completed another math page and we called it a week! 

Next week, we'll finish the farm theme with horses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment