Saturday, February 29, 2020

Watercolor Peruvian Llamas: 100 Days of Art Day 13


While studying Peru in geography, we discovered that llamas are very important to Peruvians. They are used for carrying loads, for meat, and fur. My 12 year old daughter loves llamas, so I decided to make our art project this week about llamas! I saw a project we liked on Pinterest and decided to recreate it.
First we drew a llama"s head and part of the neck. The kids traced it with Sharpies and then filled it in with watercolors.


While that was drying, they used crayons to design the background on a separate sheet of paper. I had them draw a pattern that would look like Peruvian fabrics. They then painted with watercolors over the crayons for a crayon-resist effect.

When those were dry, they cut out their llamas and glued them to the paper! They were super impressed with how this project turned out, and I was super impressed with how well they free-handed the llamas! I love the way Sharpie and watercolors look!
Titus, 7 years old

Silas, 9 years old

Mercie, 12 years old

Check out our other projects in my 100 Days of Art Challenge!




No comments:

Post a Comment