Thursday, February 13, 2020

Reading Through the Alphabet: D



I have been posting about picture books, but I couldn't resist adding one of Zeke's favorite board books this week - "Doggies: a counting and barking book" by Sandra Boynton! He loves this book and brings it to me all the time to read to him. It's a really simple and fun read. You get to "bark" in several different ways throughout the book - "yip, yip", "bow wow wow", "arf arf", and "ar-rolf!" just to name a few. Zeke likes to point to the dogs while I count and loves when I "bark" enthusiastically! I highly recommend this book to any toddler. It would make a great gift.
Image result for doggies sandra boynton
Image result for doggies sandra boynton
The next book we read was "Daniel's Duck" by Clyde Robert Bulla. This is "An I Can Read Book", level 3. It's a great story of a boy named Daniel who carved a duck for the county fair. He carved his duck with his head looking back, and everyone who saw it laughed. He thought they were laughing at his duck, but they laughed because they liked the duck. We "rowed" this book when we were doing Five in a Row.
Image result for daniels duck

The last book is an oldie but goodie - "Danny and the Dinosaur" by Syd Hoff. This book has a copyright of 1958. I found this original copyright, hardcover book in great condition at a thrift store for less than a dollar. It's been read many times! The illustrations are simple and colored in with crayon or colored pencil. It's also "An I Can Read Book" and my kids have lovingly read it over and over.
Danny-Dinosaur1958.jpg

Link up your posts - old or new - and let me see what books you're reading with the letter "D"! Please visit some other links and leave a comment or two.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

7 comments:

  1. We have the Doggies book - we picked it up almost new at a library sale. My daughter loves it. I think we may need to dig out all our Sandra Boynton board books for her to re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dog book sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Danny and the Dinosaur and Daniel's Duck. I haven't read Doggies - yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I couldn't find a place to leave a comment on your blog but I loved your Dumbo post! You are right - there are tons of elements to pull from the movie for a great homeschool unit.

      Delete