Thursday, January 25, 2024

Monthly Musings - Winter Self-Care

I'm linking up with Patty and Holly for the first Monthly Musings of 2024, and today we're discussing Winter Self-Care. Here are the questions with my answers.


1.) How do you take care of yourself in winter?


Winters in Louisiana are mostly mild, although we’ve had some really cold temps and snow/ice this past week. I mainly take care of myself by dressing for the weather and putting away my Birkenstock sandals for a few months. I try to take extra vitamin C to stay healthy since I tend to get bronchitis several times each fall and winter. I also try to keep my skin moisturized since I tend to get dry skin the winter.


2.) How do you fight the winter blues?


It’s easy to get blue when it’s cloudy, cold, and rainy most of the winter. I try to read more and watch more television shows when I can’t spend much time outdoors. I do try to get outside every day because that helps my mood so much! Having a one-year-old this year, I haven’t been getting outside like I need to. It’s so cold and windy, and her little face gets so chapped and dry, so I keep her inside when I can. Sometimes I just have to get out of the house and go to Sonic and grab a sweet tea or run to the library with the kids. Reading the Bible, listening to music, playing card or board games, and redecorating or organizing also keep my spirits up. I usually do more online shopping in the winter - I find having a package on the way gives me a little anticipation of looking forward to something. That may not be practical, but hey - it's the truth for me.

- I went to the deer stand with Rod one cold evening -



3.) Tips to make your living space cozy?


I burn lots of candles in the winter, especially apple pie or cinnamon scented ones. I like to keep lamps on to keep a cozy feel, and there’s usually a blanket or two lying around that someone discarded. I also like to have fresh baked goods at least weekly if not more. A plate of warm cookies or brownies for the kids and their friends is always cozy! 



4.) Suggestions for fun wintertime activities?


We don’t get much snow and ice, so we don’t do traditional wintertime activities like sledding or building snowmen. We just do our normal outdoor activities year-round! 

Indoors - we do like to do more crafts and play more board games. I also like to bake more as I mentioned above, and I tend to watch more TV in winter compared to hardly any in the spring and summer. 

- Sugar cookie cream cheese bars -


5.) What are your exercise routines in winter?


I don’t really have an exercise routine, although I need to start! I do a lot more stretching in winter because my muscles tend to be stiffer. I also like aerobics, and I have done so many over the years that I can keep pretty steady free-style aerobics going on in my living room! I have been wanting to do more upper body strength training, so maybe I’ll start that soon. 

6.) Best tips for restful sleep?


Ha! Don’t co-sleep with your toddler! Just kidding - I do love co-sleeping, and it does help me to get better sleep when I have babies. I try to get to sleep early each night, and I wake up between 5-6 in the morning. Keeping a sound machine beside my bed helps me to sleep more soundly! I also like to sleep cold.

- We are trying to transition her into her toddler bed -


7.) Favorite warm beverages?


The only warm beverage I drink is hot chocolate. I love to add mini marshmallows! 

8.) Best winter skincare tips? 


I use Dove moisturizer on my face beneath my makeup. I also use make up remover wipes that are moisturizing. I like Jergens Ultra Healing lotion. If my skin gets super dry and chapped, I use Aquaphor for babies, but it works wonders! It's also great for chapped lips!


9.) Flannel sheets - yes or no?


No- regular cotton! I've never used flannel sheets, but I have a feeling they'd be too hot for me.

10.) Favorite winter pajamas?


I have a few pair of Blue Mountain from Tractor Supply that are really cozy. They're also on sale for less than $10 right now! I also love my satin pajamas that Rod got me for Christmas. They’re the Amanda Blu brand. The older I get, the more I enjoy wearing matching pajama sets instead of sweats or shorts and old t-shirts.




If you want to join in, here is the list of monthly topics for the entire year!






9 comments:

  1. That line about packages made me smile.. but it is so true! I feel like I do more online shopping in the winter too. Some of that is because I'd rather order it than leave the house to go pick it up but I also know that getting the package in the mail makes me smile-- until I open it and realize it's something like ziploc bags. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! It’s easier to order stuff in the winter than going out in the weather to get it. I’ve also been using pick up at Walmart more and that’s nice - especially when it’s raining!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, to online shopping! I have been a decent bit of it- mostly for gifts or things we need for the house. But, yes, it´s fun to get packages on a dreary day! I should have a more put together PJ look like you do. Maybe I can do some online shopping to rectify that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh yes you should!! 😂 And those pajamas are on clearance so even better!

      Delete
  3. That's a great deal on the pajamas! Warm cookies or brownies on a cold day, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I have to know more about those sugar cookie cream cheese bars! Thanks for joining us this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catching up on my Monthly Musings a bit late :) Those pjs are really pretty!

    ReplyDelete