Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Currently: January 2024

I’m linking up today with Jennifer and her Currently link up for the first time! Here is what I’m loving, resolving, looking forward to, doing to stay cozy this winter, and cooking. 

Loving:

I’m loving the fact that my husband had two weeks off for Christmas and New Years. We went to Monroe yesterday (the "big city") to buy Titus some baseball cleats, a new glove, and the game and practice pants he will need. They start baseball practice when school starts back up next week. I also got a new iPhone 14 since my 12 was starting to get glitchy. I’m loving the fact that it has 128 GB of storage compared to the 64 my 12 had. 

First picture with new phone while waiting for ChickFilA

I’m loving that it’s getting cooler outside, and we’ve been able to burn fires in the fireplace. I’m loving that my kids all got a buck this year, and I’m loving my freezer being packed full of processed deer meat! 

The kids with Eli and his 10-point

Resolving:

I made a New Year’s Resolutions post a few days ago, but I have a few new resolutions already! The biggest one is to build more relationships with the people around me. I’ve been so busy the past few years that I haven’t had time to nourish friendships and family relationships the way I’d like to. I’m not sure exactly how that’s going to look, but I do know I’ll be making more phone calls instead of quick texts, and I’d like to have more people over to my home. 

Naps on the couch are the best!

I also resolve to join more linky parties and build more friendships online with my blog! 

Looking Forward To:

Junior High Baseball
Tot School with Zoey
Kindergarten with Zeke
Valentines Banquet at church
Rodeos in the spring for Mercie
New Linky Parties
Lots of warm yummy bread in my bread machine

Doing to Stay Cozy this Winter:

I’ve already mentioned fires in the fireplace, but I also look forward to wearing my new fleece Columbia zip up that Rod got me for Christmas as well as the Columbia fleece button up I bought for myself. I love blankets, and I got the kids all a new blanket for Christmas, so I’m loving seeing them wrapped up in those! 

Cooking:

We cooked fried deer backstrap, black eyed peas, cabbage, broccoli and rice casserole, and cornbread muffins for New Years, and my dad came over to eat and watch college football. 

Titus and his first buck

I also got a bread machine for Christmas, so I’ve been making bread. I made some Hawaiian sweet bread yesterday! 

We process most of our deer meat, but we did send some to the processor to make some breakfast sausage, snack sticks, and pineapple pepperjack sausage (which my husband and kids love). I'm looking forward to cooking with some fresh venison this year.

Mercie and Silas with their bucks.






15 comments:

  1. Hello, Megan, and welcome to the Currently link party! I'm so glad you joined us for the first time and look forward to getting to know you there! That's amazing that your kids each got a buck recently. My husband used to hunt and would love to do more of that now, but he always runs out of extra time. He ran into an old friend recently who offered to share his deer meat with us, as long as we pay for the processing, so we're about to have a freezer full of that. I confess I won't know what to do with it, other than to pretend it's ground beef? I would love some suggestions if you have some time! I write a blog post everyday, so I hope to see you back as a visitor, and I'll do the same on yours. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! Looking forward to getting to know you and participating in the link party each month.

      I do sub out ground venison instead of ground beef in lots of recipes, especially soups, chili, and casseroles. We also eat deer roasts, deer tips (like beef tips), and deer burgers quite a bit! We fry the backstrap and sometimes tenderized steaks. But the majority of our venison is used as ground meat!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the bucks! I love the smiles on your kids´ faces- healthy pride in a job well done. And how great to have a freezer full of deer meat. Processing some yourself- that is impressive! Stay warm and good luck with your resolutions! (I have some of the same resolutions as you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always process our own as ground venison, cut out the backstraps, and then make deer jerky with some of the steaks. Much cheaper to do it ourselves, and it actually tastes much better, too!

      Delete
  3. I used to love it when my co-worker would bring in summer sausage after her husband got a buck, it was delicious. I've seen several posts where bloggers are putting busyness to the side in favor of nourishing friendships and family relationships. It's so important. Happy New Year, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves the summer sausage with crackers and cheese! Yes, it's hard to ignore the "to-do lists" sometimes, but I feel like it's so important to foster relationships. I have neglected many the past ten or so years being busy with homeschooling and raising little ones.

      Delete
  4. Someone hit a moose just off my parents' property last year and they got permission to process it. My cousins and aunt and uncle helped and they all ended up with over 200 pounds of moose meat. The last of it was just eaten over these past Christmas holidays. Enjoy all your deer meat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, welcome to the "Currently" link up. It's a great place to be in blog world :)

      Delete
    2. I've never eaten moose before! 200 pounds is a LOT of meat!!

      Delete
  5. So glad to see you linking up with us this year; I think you'll find lots of great bloggers to follow through this link up. Congrats to all your kiddos for their successful hunting! I bet it feels great to have your freezer full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too! I'm so excited to "meet" new friends. It does feel great to have a full freezer (we actually have three deep freezers). We also butcher a cow a year, so we always have beef, too!

      Delete
  6. So nice that you joined the link-up...it is one of my favorite. I'm sure you will be making new blog friends quickly! A new bread machine sounds like a fun gift! Here's to making the house cozy with fresh baked bread!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade bread is so cozy, isn't it? Especially with a bowl of soup! I am looking forward to new blog friends!!

      Delete
  7. Hello there! I'm with you in resolving to make some new online friends! I sort of started over in the blogger world so I am looking to meet new friends!
    My husband hasn't been hunting in years, but we had some friends who brought us some deer meat before Christmas and its almost gone! We have really enjoyed especially tacos and chili with deer meat! Yummm!
    I hope you have a wonderful January! I'm a new follower now and I'm excited to get to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been blogging for a long time, but have been inconsistent the past few years. So I’m sort of starting over too, especially with my link up parties!! I’m following you now, too, and looking forward to learning more about you.

      Delete