Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Tot School Tuesday: Tot Schooling When You Have Older Kids, Too!



When you have older kids that you're homeschooling, it's easy for Tot School to fall by the wayside. Having to teach complicated math concepts and read chapter books and perform science experiments and review what the parts of speech are...it's easy to see how your toddler and preschooler's school time can get pushed to the back burner. It's happened to me before! Having high schoolers, middle schoolers, elementary ages kids, and a toddler is not for the faint of heart.

However, I believe Tot School is important and should not be skipped on a regular basis. Is "school" necessary for a toddler? No. Will they "fall behind" if they don't do Tot School? Again, no. I actually believe that formal preschool is not necessary and can sometimes do more harm than good.


So why is Tot School important?


Tot School is just that focused time with your toddler, time you take out of your day to sit with, work with, and learn with your child. This time should not be spent with flashcard drills and inappropriate worksheets. It should not be a time of stress or frustration for your child or for you. It should be a time of learning to color, tear paper, use a glue-stick, explore different sensory materials, read great books, sing songs, and fine-tune those fine-motor skills.

Sounds fun and easy, right?

It really is - as long as you make sure it happens regularly. Here are my tips for making sure Tot School happens when you have older kids, too.

transferring cotton balls

Do it First Thing

When I make Tot School the first thing on my agenda for the day, it almost always happens. It's so easy for it to get pushed back and pushed back and then forgotten about when you get busy with other things. I try to do Tot School with Zeke while the big kids are still doing their morning chores and getting ready for the day, usually around 7:30 or 8:00. The time will vary for you according to your regular schedule but stop and think about what you do in the morning. Is there a time you can set aside for Tot School? Maybe while you're drinking your coffee, or right after breakfast while your bigger kids clean the kitchen? I set aside around 30 minutes for Tot School, sometimes it takes less time and sometimes more, but I have found that half an hour is a good average for us.
counting bears are always a favorite

Have it Ready the Night Before

Gather all of the books, supplies, and activities you are planning for the next day's Tot School. I have a shelf in my dining room dedicated to Tot School trays, books, and supplies. Set up the tot tray, print out the worksheet, lay out the puzzle, find the scissors and put it all in one place. You may have a shelf you can use, or an empty basket to corral everything in. Having everything ready and in one place makes it so much easier to ensure that Tot School happens. You can't use the excuse that you don't have time to find something - it's all right there!
b is for bunny week

Keep Your Resources Organized

Printing, laminating, and storing resources in an organized way will help keep you on track with Tot School. I try to print and laminate resources before I will need them. I printed and laminated the entire set of alphabet pattern blocks and playdough mats at the same time, so I don't have to wait for my laminator to heat up in the morning and laminate a sheet before Tot School. I keep them all together so I can pull what I need the night before.

I have a huge shelf with bins where I keep all of our Tot School and Preschool resources - puzzles, games, lacing toys, fine motor tools, math manipulatives, baskets, and trays. It's so easy knowing where everything is! I also organize within the bins - plastic bags and small plastic containers help contain pattern blocks, linking cubes, counting bears, and magnets. It's much easier for me to say "yes" to a purchase when I know I have somewhere to store it and that it will get used many times. I've had some of these resources for more than ten years!


Keep Your Supply Cabinet Stocked

Whatever you use for arts and crafts supplies, be it a cabinet or closet or shelf, keep it stocked with everything you'll need. Crayons, markers, scissors, glue sticks, colored paper, stickers, dot markers, dried beans, paper plates...anything you think you'll need. It's best to stock up on art supplies in the month of July - all of the back-to-school sales are happening! When you start running low on something, pick them it up on your next run to the store. Look ahead at some of the activities you're planning to do with your child and make sure you have all of the necessary items necessary. This makes it so much easier to plan activities or do a spontaneous activity! When you put something off for a few days because you don't have what you need, you're not likely to do it. Or in my experience, I'm not likely to come back to it!
buttons are so versatile


These four tips are sure to help you ensure that Tot School or Preschool time happens with your little one. Which one do you struggle with the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment