Saturday, May 14, 2022

Friday Favorites - Mother's Day and Gardening

 I know I'm a day late to this link up, but my friend Joanne does these and they seem like so much fun! I thought I'd give it a try, if I can narrow down my favorite moments from this week.

Mother's Day

Mother's Day was a fun day! My oldest son, Eli, went shopping with my dad the day before and bought me my own personal cookie cake cookie! I was surprised he remembered Mother's Day and very touched by his thoughtful gesture - even though he did let me know it cost him almost $15! 

After church we went to eat lunch and took family pictures in the WalMart parking lot! It's so hard to get a picture of all of us, and we're missing Mikaela and her baby, Daniel since they're in South Carolina for now. But we tried!


I bought some new plants for my porch and I love the way the greenery just makes everything look so much happier. We also worked in the garden Sunday afternoon.


Swimming

Last year we had a bigger swimming pool but it was a pain to keep clean! We'd swim in clear water one day and the next morning it looked like green Jello. I decided not to go that route this year, especially since I'm pregnant and know I'm not up to the task of keeping it clean(ish). I bought a small $30 pool from WalMart, and the boys have had a blast in it this week! I bought it with Zeke (3) in mind, but Silas (11) and Titus (9) have really enjoyed playing with him. When it's hot outside, any pool is inviting to a kid!


Gardening

I'm not the best gardener, but I want to be good! I feel more of an urgency to have a productive garden this year with food shortages and inflation prices. We have tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, strawberries, squash, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe, carrots, sweet corn, and black eyed peas planted. We don't have huge quantities of each, but we have enough for our family. Weeding the garden, hoeing the garden, and tilling the garden have been a family project. I've enjoyed working in the garden in the evenings and watching the fruit and vegetables grow. The kids pick the strawberries when they're ready and say they're so much sweeter than from the store!





The End of the Homeschool Year

It is so nice to be finished with the homeschool year, although we will be doing a modified "summer school" schedule with an hour of work in the afternoons. Mercie has been working with her horse to get ready for the rodeo in a few weekends (she is starting to barrel race) and teaching Titus how to saddle his (old and stubborn) horse and do some riding. They have rodeo camp in about three weeks and they're getting very excited about it!


What were your favorite moments this week? I'm linking up with:




No comments:

Post a Comment