Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Forbrain for Speech, Language and Attention {TOS Review}

Many of you know that Silas, my almost-6-year old son, has a speech disorder. He has taken private speech lessons with a speech therapist and had speech therapy through an IEP in the public school system. He has many issues with pronouncing sounds, as well as a very funny "accent" in which he speaks. Most people cannot understand what he is saying, and I am constantly "translating" for him. This is very frustrating for him. As he is getting older, it is also becoming embarrassing, as he is aware of the problem.
I was so excited when I was chosen to review a new Auditory Processing Product for Speech, Language and Attention from Forbrain - Sound for Life LTD! The product is a set of headphones that have a microphone you speak in to. The microphone is really a filter that blocks out background and environmental noises and amplifies your voice.

The headphones are not worn in the ears, but rather on the bone in front of the ears. The vibrations from your voice are delivered through bone conduction to the nervous system and brain. This page explains the process and auditory technology much better than I can! { I recommend reading it for some very helpful and interesting information. }

Forbrain can be used in many different ways for many different areas. Here are just a few:
  • Reading and Writing
  • Verbal or Short Term Memory
  • Attention and Ability to Stay on Task
  • Concentration and Focus
  • Speech, Fluency and Pronunciation
  • Motivation, Self Esteem and Self Confidence
We used Forbrain for a few different reasons in our household. I had 3 children who primarily use Forbrain. I'll list each child and explain why they use Forbrain and if it's helping.

  • SILAS. Obviously, Silas is using Forbrain primarily for his speech and pronunciation. Silas is not reading yet, so we use his in a conversational way. I do this in several ways. Sometimes, I ask him to tell me a Bible story, or I ask him questions about a Bible story to get him talking. Sometimes, I have him repeat words or phrases that are used in his speech therapy. And sometimes, I have him repeat sounds, trying to say them correctly. I have noticed little improvement with his speech since using Forbrain. He doesn't seem to notice that he is saying the sounds incorrectly, so he doesn't see the need to improve.
  • MERCIE. Mercie is my 8 year old. She is an excellent reader, but the past year or so, I've noticed she "speed reads", skipping over one or more words at time and not really paying attention to what she's reading. Her reading and listening comprehension has decreased quite a bit. I have had her wear the device while she is reading aloud, and it really helps! She slows down her reading and pronounces the words much better. She isn't skipping over words and remembers what she's read! I plan to have her wear it several times a week during her reading lessons.

  • TITUS. Titus is my almost-4 year old. He has always had a very loud voice! He has such a hard time talking in a quiet voice. I have been working with him for a while now, trying to teach him to speak quietly. It's turning into a problem, especially when we are at church or the store, and many people think he is yelling at me when he talks. He's not - he just can't speak quietly. When I put the headphones on him for the first time, he started talking in his normal voice - for about half a second! His eyes got really big, and he started talking quietly. I was amazed! When he wears the headphones, he talks in a normal voice! I haven't noticed any changes when he isn't wearing the headphones, but I'm hoping that it will help with regular use!
Forbrain is an awesome product, and I've noticed the biggest difference in Mercie with reading comprehension. I am very impressed with Forbrain, and we plan to continue to use it with these three children.

Forbrain is quite expensive, at $359, but well worth it if your child needs extra help with attention, speech or language. Check out Forbrain - Sound for Life LTD.

 
 
Forbrain – Sound For Life Ltd Review
 

No comments:

Post a Comment