Saturday, May 16, 2020

Summer Learning Binders

We have wrapped up our 2019-2020 school year,  but I really want to keep my kid's minds active over the summer. We normally spend most of our days outside, and I don't want to do a full curriculum with my kids over the summer, so I decided to make them each a Summer Learning Binder.

I got each child a 1-inch, 3-ring binder and a few dividers and am filling the binders with math worksheets, language art units, and other fun projects I thought they would enjoy. I am getting some of my units from School House Teachers, which has tons of options to choose from. Here is what is going in each child's binder.

Mercie, new 7th grader:
Fun with Fairy Tales: This course is actually for 4th-6th graders, but I've never been a stickler for grade levels! She will be reading various fairy tales and learning about the different story elements through them. She already knows most of this stuff, but it's great review and I knew she'd like reading the fairy tales in our Grimm's Fairy Tales book.

Daily Math: There are so many math topics in this course from School House Teachers! I'm going to choose all review topics because I want this to be an independent activity. I also added a package of worksheets from the Dollar Tree on charts and graphs, greatest common factor, and least common multiples, just for extra practice.

Discovering the Elements of Poetry: This is an 8 week course that talks about, well, the different elements in poetry! She loves poetry.

Physical Science Articles: These are articles with questions following on range of topics from volcanoes to matter to what the earth is made of. I got this from the Dollar Tree, and the articles are interesting to read and very well written.

Silas, new 5th grader:
Adventures in Writing: This is a writing course for elementary students. He will be writing a story about a farm animal, which is right up his alley since he loves working with our cows! It's an 8-week course, with one lesson a week.

Page a Day Math: This is actually a review product! I printed out the worksheets from the Division Kit for him to work on over the summer. It's basically copy-work for the division facts. He really needs to learn his division facts before starting 4th grade math. (He is in 5th grade everything except math.)

Multiplication and Division Word Problems: I picked this up from the Dollar Tree. There are 38 worksheets with multiplication and division word problems. He needs this practice, too!

Geography: I picked up a package of worksheets for him from the Dollar Tree on human and physical geography. He reads the articles and answers the questions. It's also very well written and interesting to read.

Titus, new 3rd grader:
Page a Day Math: This is the same as Silas's except I printed out the Multiplication Kit. He hasn't learned his multiplication facts yet, but I thought it would be a good activity to work on over the summer.

Addition and Subtraction: This is from the Dollar Tree, and it's review for him. The word problems are great reading practice, though.

Handwriting: This is also from Page a Day Math, but it's handwriting practice. He really needs this!

Sight Words for 2nd and 3rd Grade: He doesn't need the reading practice, but he does need the handwriting practice! This is from the Dollar Tree, and each page features two sight words that he will practice writing and then he'll write a sentence using each word.

They will use these binders each day for about half an hour to an hour during their quiet time. In each binder is also a book log that they will use to keep track of each book they read this summer.

We will also be working through a 7-week history unit together, which will consist of reading, games, crafts, and activities!

What do you think of Summer Learning Binders? Do you do something similar?

2 comments:

  1. I've never been a stickler for grade levels either. These do sound like a fun way to keep them working on skills without actually "doing school" all summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was being sneaky when I told my 12 year old about the "Fun Summer Learning Binders!" and she said, "You mean SCHOOL in the SUMMER?" But she has actually really enjoyed working the binder because it doesn't feel like school.

      Delete