Saturday, May 30, 2020

3rd and 5th grade Curriculum Plans 2020-2021

I shared what my 7th grader will be using for the 2020-2021 school year here. Now I'll be sharing what my 3rd and 5th graders will be using. I'm grouping them together because they are using the same things, just on different grade levels.

MATH:
They used Math Lessons for a Living Education this year and loved it. But I felt like my boys needed something a little more traditional, with more drills and practice. I decided to go with MCP Mathematics Level C for Titus and Level E for Silas. This series is targeted towards students who need a little more practice with math. I did enjoy the Math Lessons for a Living Education, but for these two boys I feel like they needed something different.
MCP Mathematics Level C, Grade 3, 2005 Ed., Homeschool Kit       MCP Mathematics Level E, Grade 5, 2005 Ed., Homeschool Kit

LANGUAGE ARTS:
I'm starting them both on Learning Language Arts Through Literature this year. Silas will be using the Purple book and Titus will be using the Yellow book.

Titus will be reading:
  • The White Stallion, by Elizabeth Shub
  • Madeline, by Ludwig Bemelmans
  • Meet George Washington, by Joan Heilbroner
  • The Courage of Sarah Noble, by Alice Dalgliesh
Silas will be reading:
  • Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Trumpet of the Swan by E.B.White
  • Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
  • Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
Learning Language Arts Through Literature, Grade 3, Yellow  Student Activity Book (3rd Edition)       Learning Language Arts Through Literature Student Activity Book: The Purple Book (Grade 5; 3rd Edition)
SPELLING:
They both need extra spelling practice, so they will be using 180 Days of Spelling for their respective grade levels.
180 Days of Spelling & Word Study for Fifth Grade (Grade Level 5)       180 Days of Spelling & Word Study for Third Grade (Grade Level 3)
HISTORY:
We will be using the Mystery of History Volume 1 along with Mercie. We will be using the notebooking pages and challenge cards, also.
Creation to the Resurrection, Mystery of History Vol. 1 3rd Edition
SCIENCE:
I am using Exploring Astronomy from School House Teachers with them. We will learn about the planets and space and do some fun hands-on projects like making our own solar oven and baking cookies.
null
ART:
They will also be using Elementary Art Lessons from School House Teachers. They will learn about 12 artists and make their own masterpieces in those styles.
null
MORNING BASKET:
I'm going to bring our Morning Basket back into our homeschool day! We slowly quit doing it because I had a baby and we were in survival mode! It really does add so much to our lives, though, that I find it very important to bring back.

We will be using Road Trip USA by Confessions of a Homeschooler each morning to gently cover each of the 50 states. I am ordering every state book in the States Alphabet series to read during this time, as well as having map drills, states and capitals drills, and a few hands-on activities.


We will also be reading the Bible during this time. We are currently in Deuteronomy and will continue reading straight through the Bible. I read from the New Living Translation and discuss it.

We will work on scripture memory, memorizing chunks and chapters of scripture.

We will also have a poem a week, like we used to do. The kids loved reading the poem aloud and memorizing it. I usually choose poems based on the seasons or interests of the kids.

I'm also planning to have a read aloud each morning that corresponds with our history lessons. Mystery of History has tons of book suggestions that I will choose from.

Our Morning Basket will probably take around an hour each morning to do.

See what my 7th grader is using by clicking here! Next I will share about my 18-month old's Tot school and the resources I am buying for him, and then I'll share what my senior will be using!

No comments:

Post a Comment