Friday, May 22, 2020

Homeschool Highlights 5/18/20 - 5/22/20



On Monday, Mercie went to the orthodontist for the first time in 12 weeks. They pulled her last baby tooth, took off her spring that was helping her tooth move down, re-wired her mouth, and started her on rubber bands to fix her overbite. Her mouth was sore for a few days!

Tuesday I found out my first grandchild is going to be a grandson! Mikaela and I went for her gender scan and got to see Daniel on the ultrasound! That's the name she chose and I love it. We left straight from the doctor's office and headed to Austin, Texas, where Rod is working. It's actually a small town about 45 miles from Austin. It was about an 8 hour drive. Zeke got carsick a few times, and he absolutely hates riding in the car seat, but overall he was good!
We found the library Wednesday and got a library card without any hassle! They have a good movie selection and a nice board book selection. I got Zeke a few books to go along with his Tot School themes. We also picked up Domino's Pizza on the way home for supper.
All of the parks and playgrounds around here are still closed, which is a bummer because the RV park we are staying in doesn't have a play area. I'm still trying to figure out how we are going to get enough outside time while we are here!
Thursday we went to Georgetown, about a 45 minute drive, to do some shopping. Everything in Louisiana has been closed for a while, and Mercie needed some clothes. We went to Old Navy and TJ Maxx and got quite a few items for her, as well as a few things for baby Daniel and of course Zeke. I also got myself five shirts because I still haven't lost the baby weight and Zeke is still nursing so my chest area is still bigger than normal, and I don't have many cute shirts that fit. I really need to lose about 30 pounds!

Mercie, Silas, and Titus worked in the Summer Learning Binders almost every day this week.

Zeke finished his first week of Bible ABCs for Ones, Twos, and Threes! His story was Adam and Eve for the letter A, his color was green, and his Bible Big Idea was "I will obey God."
We used his Tot Learning Mats (which I made and am thinking about selling) to learn the color green and to help with the story of Adam and Eve. These mats are really great for teaching vocabulary words and matching concepts. Zeke started saying several new words this week, including "turtle" from his Tot Learning Mats.

We read the story of Adam and Eve and sang the Adam and Eve song (to the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell") several times. He made a bubble wrap print snake with green paint and we put it in his notebook.
We played "Pass the Fruit" with a plastic apple. I repeated the Bible Big Idea, "I will obey God" several times. I will say, "I will obey..." and Zeke will finish with "God!"

He glued some clip art fruit to the letter "A" in his notebook.
He ate grapes and apples for a fruit-themed snack!

He made leaf rubbings with a green crayon!


How was your week?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter



9 comments:

  1. Hope her mouth doesn't hurt anymore. I am such a baby when I have to go to the dentist. Congrats on the grandson! I love the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't like the dentist, either, but the kids and I go every six months! I love the name Daniel, too.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a productive week. Congratulations on your first grandson. My oldest grandchild/son is now 19. Grandbaby number 16 will probably arrive today.They grow in a blink of an eye. I'm thinking they grow faster than kids. :)
    God's Blessings
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Sixteen grandbabies! That is truly a blessing. I cannot wait until my grandson is born. I was pretty shocked at first, but now I am getting more and more excited.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that was a lot to get done in her mouth at one time. We also had Lindsey's first ortho appt. on Monday, but it was a lot less involved. Next visit will not be so easy for her.

    Congratulations on little Daniel! Love the name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first visit is easy! Mercie has had three visits so far, and this was the only painful one. The rubber bands make her jaw ache, and she has to change them numerous times a day - each time she eats, brushes her teeth, etc.

      Delete
  4. I always hated when Alec had lots of work done on his mouth and I knew he was going to be sore for a few days. At least she finally got to go! Sounds like a great week in Texas; I am pretty jealous you got to go INTO a library. :) We're just so grateful we can finally get books from ours again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised it was open! Of course we had to use hand sanitizer upon arrival, and the books must "quarantine" for three days after return. Oh and if you touch a book and don't want it, you must put in on the table so they can sanitize it before reshelving. But we were so happy to be in a library again!

      Delete
  5. Great activities and congratulations such exciting times when a baby is soon part of our lives Beautiful images xoxo Cris

    http://www.photosbycris.com.au/?p=6040

    ReplyDelete