Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Stained Glass for Kids: Charlotte Mason Handicrafts



Charlotte Mason encouraged children to learn handicrafts. A handicraft differs from a craft in this way: a handicraft is something useful, and a craft is something you will probably throw away after it hangs on the fridge for a week. A handicraft is a skill your child {or you} will learn. As I was searching for handicrafts my children to work on this week, I came across a stained glass project that looked relatively easy. This is a project that will hang in our windows for a long time; this is a skill my children can learn and perfect as they get older.



Supplies needed:

8x10 picture frame
white glue
clear glue
black acrylic paint
assorted acrylic paints
clear spray enamel
hot glue
ribbon or chain to hang the frame
printed black-and-white stained glass pattern {we used stained glass coloring sheets}


Step One: Choose your pattern. We did a quick Google search for "stained glass coloring pictures". Print off the pattern you like - remember, simple is better for this project.

Step Two: Empty out a small amount of the white glue. Add a few drops of black acrylic paint and mix well. We used a craft stick to mix ours.

Step Three: Line up your pattern under the glass from the picture frame. {Take glass out of frame.} Using the now-black glue, trace your pattern. Go slowly! Add a border if there isn't one on your pattern.



Step Four: Let it dry overnight.

Step Five: Mix the clear glue with the colored acrylic paints; I used almost equal parts.

Step Six: Paint your glass!



Step Seven: After it is completely dry, spray with clear enamel.

Step Eight: Hot glue the glass into the frame. You will not put the back on the frame.

Step Nine: Hot glue ribbon or chain to the back of the frame. Hang in a window!!



I hope to feature many more handicrafts in the following months!



Click the banner below to read even more handicrafts and get some ideas for your children or yourself!


Crafts / Handiwork Ideas and Tutorials
 
 

18 comments:

  1. These look like something my girls would love. I'll have to bookmark this and remember it for a future handiwork day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. My kids are already planning their next one.

      Delete
  2. Oh how fun! We have never made a stained glass! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The kids really loved making these. I kinda want to make my own... :-)

      Delete
  3. Oooh, lovely idea! I bet black puff paint would work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't made stained glass either. I love this idea though!

    Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wow those are amazing. I think I will do this soon with our Art co-op. Thank you so much.

    PS Thank you for linking to the Virtual Fridge. This will be featured in this coming weeks Virtual Fridge post over at Every Bed of Roses :) .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ach! I love this! We will have to try this out. And I agree a handicraft is something useful. Our main handicraft is sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing is something I am not great at. I need to practice more.

      Delete
  7. The kids did a great job! I just want to clarify what you mean by "clear glue" so we can try this. I have a feeling ours will be all trains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used Elmer's clear glue. It's in a bottle just like the white glue. I found ours at Walmart for $1.77 per bottle.

      Delete
  8. Oh I love stained glass, these types of craft activities never get old. The kids did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a fun project that we are going to be repeating!

      Delete
  9. We did this just a few months ago; the boys had a difficult time getting the glue to stay in place and no spread out. I wish we had sprayed them with clear enamel too since they have long since faded.

    ReplyDelete