Sunday, September 6, 2026

Week in Review: Week Five of Homeschool

Week five - check!

We have actually made two small changes so far this year. First, we cut out Language Smarts! While I love the workbook, and it worked great for Titus, it's just too redundant for Zeke this year. He is using Abeka Grammar and doing well with it, so we are just down to one grammar curriculum (which is how it should be at this age!).


Next, we finished the Literature Kit for "Charlotte's Web," but when we started using the "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" kit, I decided it was not 'fun' enough for Zeke. The questions were hard to answer and the vocabulary was just too much. I found a literature study for the book on Teachers Pay Teachers for $8, and already it's so much better! He gets to do some coloring, designed his own Golden Ticket, and can answer all of the questions with ease. 


Other than that, everything else is going great.

We learned about the rainforest biome this week in preparation for our South America study, where we will visit Brazil and Bolivia over the next two weeks.




In science, he learned about animals, including what makes a carnivore, herbivore, and omnivore and predators and prey. He thought it was funny when I told him that I learned to memorize what the difference between predator and prey were by saying, "The prey PRAYS not to get eaten."




He's scooting along in math, learning multiplication and reviewing past concepts. He loves the games in Math with Confidence, and I do, too, because they're so easy to set up, quick to play, and very effective.

He keeps his pencil sharpener right by him and keeps his pencil super sharp!


We are still loving Bible Study Guide for All Ages, and I posted my full review on it a few days ago.



Zoey learned the letter "Ee" this week. She also reviewed her shapes and colors. We read "Strictly No Elephants" and "But No Elephants," and she made a paper plate elephant. 











Preschool is going well, but sometimes Zoey wishes she had "more" work. I do miss doing Five in a Row and similar literature studies, so I'm considering adding that to her day. We actually have been skipping the science section of her curriculum because it's just too much for her right now. So I guess I should add in some science through books?

We made our weekly library visit where Zeke got a stack of books that he's already started plowing through!



Friday night was Friday Night Football. Silas is a sophomore and starts on the varsity team as a left guard. We won 28-0 and Silas had a great game! I love football season; it's so much fun when you get to watch your kids play.





How was your week?




 

No comments:

Post a Comment