Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Preschool Picture Books & Art - The Mixed Up Chameleon & Paper Plate Craft

This is one of our favorite Eric Carle books, but honestly they're all so fun to read! I saw this paper plate color-changing chameleon craft and I knew we had to recreate it.


You need two paper plates, a paper fastener, paint, and a print out of a chameleon to trace. I simply searched for and found a basic chameleon coloring page and made it smaller when I printed it.

I had Zeke paint the paper plate (he actually painted two because he was enjoying it so much) with several different colors. He went all out and painted the entire plate - no white space left!


While he was painting, I was tracing the chameleon onto another paper plate. Then I cut the chameleon shape out using scissors. It would probably have been easier to use an Exacto knife, but I didn't have one. This was the hardest part of this activity, and it's not perfect! I left a little place to glue a googly eye on the chameleon!

We waited until the next morning to attach the white paper plate with the cut-out chameleon onto the painted paper plate. Then Zeke glued on a googly eye. When we spin the top plate around, the chameleon changes colors! 


This was a fun craft to do and a great go-along for the book The Mixed Up Chameleon

Check out the other posts in this series!

Birds and Feather Painting

A Tree is Nice and Cork Tree Painting



2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I've done a lot of animal-themed crafts while working in a zoo's education dept and I am surprised we never did this one. It is so simple but effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was simple and easy, but he has had so much fun making the chameleon change colors!

      Delete