Monday, June 20, 2022

Blogging From A to Z - Daily Notebooks

I've talked before about how we are having a shortened summer school schedule this summer. It hasn't gone quite as smoothly as I had hoped! For one, we have been super busy so far and not home every day during the time I try to set aside for schoolwork. Secondly I have been so tired and exhausted from the heat and this pregnancy that I haven't been making it happen every day. 

As I was thinking of what I could do to make sure that certain things get done daily this summer - reading books, Bible study, math practice - I remembered how I used to use spiral notebooks to write out assignments for Mikaela and Eli. It worked really well and ensured that everything I wanted them to get to got done each day. 

I decided that I am going to use spiral notebooks this summer for the boy's daily notebooks. They will have checklists of everything I'd like them to do each day for school as well as chores and other reminders. 

Cheap spiral notebooks

I will handwrite their assignments either each night before bed or each weekend for the entire week. That way they can just grab their notebooks each morning and start working on their checklists. 

Silas, rising 7th grader

I know Silas will appreciate this because he doesn't like having to wait to be told what to do. He wants to wake up and get everything done at once. This will be good for him because he will be able to quickly see what all he has to do each day and choose the order he does it in. I added in some exercises for him because his 30-day challenge is five daily chores.

Silas, rising 7th grader

Titus will also like this because he likes to work independently if possible. He has a hard time focusing on tasks, but this will break things down into manageable chunks for him. I added a daily chore because his 30-day challenge is exercises.

Titus, rising 5th grader

And of course I think it's going to be extremely helpful for me! I can sit down and think of all the things we need to do, but then I get distracted and busy and before I know it, we've run out of time. This way I can sit down and write their checklists, no distractions, no forgetting anything. There is also plenty of space to add in things I think of later.

Titus, rising 5th grader

I really want this to keep us on track this summer. Titus has to get his multiplication and division facts down better, Silas has a math workbook he's reviewing for the Crew and he needs the review before seventh grade math hits, and they both need the reminder to read more! I'd also like them to begin having a short quiet time with their Bibles each day, and this will be a great place to record this for them. 

Have you ever used daily notebooks in your homeschool?

Link up your Letter D posts! Don't forget to comment on the other posts in the link-up.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a fantastic idea. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi @BaileysHomeschoolAdventureJune 20, 2022 at 2:21 PM

    Love, love, love this!! I'm sooo doing this! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of daily notebooks. Our son has a school agenda where I write out his assignments. Both our son and our daughter will start new ones in August. In the past I have used post it notes to write down tasks because the kids liked throwing them away when they were all finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throwing away the post it notes would definitely appeal to my boys!

      Delete
  4. I did use some checklists similar to this for awhile in our homeschool and my oldest son loved it; especially if I wrote out the week's assignments as he'd often work hard and get his work done in just 2 or 3 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, such a feeling of accomplishment! I think my boys would try to work ahead if it wasn't summer.

      Delete
  5. Cheap spiral notebooks - something so simple is a great way to get those important things down on paper and (hopefully) checked off! Nice post and reminder!

    ReplyDelete