Monday, August 10, 2020

Back to School Traditions: Blog Hop!

I have been homeschooling for about 12 years. We don't have any fancy back-to-school traditions, but we do have a few things that the kids always look forward to when we are starting a new school year.


NEW SCHOOL SUPPLIES! This is one of my kid's favorite things - picking out new pencils, notebooks, binders, crayons, colored pencils, and markers. They love to go through their new school supplies and organize and re-organize them. When I was a kid in public school, this was always the best part of going back to school for me!
NEW SCHOOL BOOKS! They also love flipping through their new math, language arts, history, and science books. Looking forward to fun experiments and interesting history lessons can make the school year much more exciting!
BALLOONS! I don't know why balloons make things more special, but they do! Last year I hung up balloons that looked like earth to kick off our world geography study! I haven't decided which balloons I'll use this year to mark the first day of school.

SPECIAL BREAKFAST! I usually cook cinnamon rolls for the first day of school. It's not something I make often, so it is a special treat for the kids!

SKATE PARTY! I don't know if we will be able to have it this year, but our homeschool group has a back-to-school skate party each August! Last year was our first year going, but we plan to make it a tradition. 
What are your back-to-school traditions?
Annual NOT Back to School Blog Hop 2020

13 comments:

  1. Skate party sounds Fun, hopefully covid won't shut it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! I'm sure covid will keep it from happening because I haven't seen anything about it.

      Delete
  2. I love the world balloons. What a festive idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a great way to kick off our geography study!

      Delete
  3. I love the balloon idea! My kids love them...maybe something we can do this year. Pretty easy to incorporate into the day, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very easy and cheap! And it makes things feel more festive!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! Simple, cheap, and easy! And the kids love it.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness those balloons were so neat! What a fun way to celebrate the new school year! Cinnamon rolls are a really special treat here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Typically we do a not back to school beach day with all our homeschooling friends- that first week when all the public school kids start back to school and the moms all post back to school photos my friends and I meet up at the beach with our kids and take not back to school photos. I don't think that will happen this year but it's so nice to have the beach to ourselves and it's still usually quite warm in late August when schools start back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a fun tradition! I hope y'all somehow get to do it.

      Delete
  7. These are some great traditions. It stinks this year not being able to do some of ours.

    ReplyDelete